Skip to Content

What To Do If A Dog Eats An Edible


Dogs are curious creatures, always on the lookout for a tasty treat to munch on. But what happens when that treat happens to be an edible? As more and more states legalize the use of cannabis products, the risk of pets accidentally ingesting edibles has become a growing concern for pet owners. In this article, we will explore what to do if a dog eats an edible, as well as discuss some interesting trends related to the topic.

1. Increased Cases of Edible Ingestion by Pets

With the rise in popularity of edibles among humans, there has been a corresponding increase in cases of pets accidentally ingesting these products. This trend has been seen in veterinary clinics across the country, with more and more pet owners seeking help for their furry friends who have gotten into their stash.

2. Lack of Awareness Among Pet Owners

One of the biggest issues contributing to the rise in edible ingestion by pets is the lack of awareness among pet owners about the dangers of these products. Many people do not realize that edibles can be toxic to dogs, leading to accidental ingestion and subsequent medical emergencies.

3. Increased Availability of Edibles

Another trend contributing to the rise in cases of dogs eating edibles is the increased availability of these products. With more dispensaries popping up and a wider variety of edibles on the market, it has become easier for pets to access these potentially harmful treats.

4. Lack of Regulation in Packaging

There is also a lack of regulation when it comes to packaging of edibles, making it easier for pets to mistake them for regular treats. This has led to many cases of accidental ingestion, as pets cannot differentiate between a regular snack and a cannabis-infused one.

5. Risks of Edible Ingestion for Dogs

Edibles can be extremely dangerous for dogs, as they are much more sensitive to the effects of THC than humans. Ingesting even a small amount of an edible can lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and in severe cases, seizures or even death.

6. Importance of Seeking Veterinary Care

If you suspect that your dog has ingested an edible, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. Time is of the essence when it comes to treating edibles ingestion, as the effects can be fast-acting and potentially life-threatening.

7. Prevention is Key

Prevention is always the best course of action when it comes to keeping your pets safe. Store edibles in a secure location where your pets cannot access them, and be mindful of where you are consuming these products to avoid any accidental ingestion by your furry friends.

Common Concerns and Answers:

1. What should I do if my dog eats an edible?

If your dog ingests an edible, the first thing you should do is contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital. They will be able to provide guidance on the next steps to take and may recommend bringing your dog in for treatment.

2. How long does it take for symptoms to appear after a dog eats an edible?

Symptoms of edible ingestion can appear within 30 minutes to a few hours after ingestion. It is important to monitor your dog closely for any signs of distress and seek veterinary care if needed.

3. Can I induce vomiting in my dog if they eat an edible?

It is not recommended to induce vomiting in your dog without consulting a veterinarian first. Some substances can be more harmful if vomited back up, so it is best to seek professional advice before attempting to induce vomiting.

4. What will the veterinarian do to treat my dog if they eat an edible?

Treatment for edible ingestion in dogs may include inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal to absorb the toxins, IV fluids to help flush out the system, and supportive care to manage symptoms.

5. How can I prevent my dog from eating edibles in the future?

To prevent future incidents of edible ingestion, make sure to store these products in a secure location out of reach of pets, and be mindful of where you are consuming them to avoid any accidental exposure to your pets.

6. Are there any long-term effects of edible ingestion in dogs?

In most cases, dogs who ingest edibles will recover with proper treatment and care. However, in severe cases, there can be long-term effects such as liver or kidney damage, so it is important to seek veterinary care as soon as possible.

7. Should I be worried if my dog eats a small amount of an edible?

Even a small amount of an edible can be dangerous for dogs, so it is always best to err on the side of caution and seek veterinary care if your dog ingests any amount of these products.

8. Can dogs overdose on edibles?

Yes, dogs can overdose on edibles if they ingest a large amount of THC. This can lead to severe symptoms and potential life-threatening complications, so it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

9. What should I do if my dog is showing symptoms of edible ingestion?

If your dog is showing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or seizures after ingesting an edible, seek veterinary care immediately. These symptoms can be signs of toxicity and require prompt treatment.

10. How can I tell if my dog has eaten an edible?

Signs that your dog may have ingested an edible include sudden changes in behavior, lethargy, difficulty walking, dilated pupils, and in severe cases, seizures. If you suspect your dog has eaten an edible, contact your veterinarian right away.

11. Can edibles be fatal to dogs?

Edibles can be fatal to dogs if ingested in large amounts. THC toxicity can cause severe symptoms such as seizures and respiratory distress, which can be life-threatening if not treated promptly.

12. Are there any home remedies I can try if my dog eats an edible?

It is not recommended to try any home remedies if your dog eats an edible. Instead, contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital for guidance on the next steps to take.

13. How can I calm my dog if they are experiencing symptoms of edible ingestion?

If your dog is experiencing symptoms of edible ingestion, such as anxiety or restlessness, try to keep them in a quiet, calm environment and provide comfort and reassurance. Seek veterinary care for further treatment.

14. Can puppies be affected by edible ingestion?

Puppies are even more sensitive to the effects of THC than adult dogs, so ingesting an edible can be even more dangerous for them. It is important to keep edibles out of reach of all pets, including puppies.

15. Is it safe to give my dog CBD products?

While CBD products are generally considered safe for dogs, it is important to consult with your veterinarian before giving them to your pet. THC-containing edibles, on the other hand, should never be given to dogs.

In conclusion, if your dog eats an edible, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately to ensure their safety and well-being. Prevention is key when it comes to keeping your pets safe from accidental ingestion of harmful substances. By being mindful of where you store and consume edibles, you can help protect your furry friends from a potentially dangerous situation. Remember, when it comes to your pet’s health, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.