Skip to Content

What To Do If Dog Eats Play-doh


Dogs are notorious for getting into things they shouldn’t, and one common household item that can pose a danger to our furry friends is Play-doh. If your dog has managed to get their paws on some Play-doh and ingested it, you may be wondering what to do next. In this article, we will explore the potential risks of a dog eating Play-doh, as well as provide practical advice on how to handle the situation.

First and foremost, it’s important to understand what Play-doh is made of. Play-doh is a non-toxic modeling compound that is primarily composed of water, salt, and flour. While these ingredients are generally safe for humans, they can cause problems for dogs if ingested in large quantities. The high salt content in Play-doh can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances in dogs, while the flour can cause digestive issues such as bloating and stomach upset.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten Play-doh, it’s crucial to monitor them closely for any signs of distress. Some common symptoms of Play-doh ingestion in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and increased thirst. If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

In the meantime, there are several steps you can take to help your dog if they have eaten Play-doh. The first thing to do is to try to determine how much Play-doh your dog has ingested. If they have only eaten a small amount, they may be able to pass it without any issues. However, if they have eaten a large quantity, it’s best to err on the side of caution and seek veterinary advice.

One of the main concerns when a dog eats Play-doh is the potential for dehydration. The high salt content in Play-doh can draw water out of your dog’s body, leading to dehydration. To combat this, make sure your dog has access to plenty of fresh water to drink. You can also try offering them a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to help settle their stomach.

In addition to dehydration, another concern when a dog eats Play-doh is the risk of an intestinal blockage. The flour in Play-doh can clump together in your dog’s digestive tract, leading to a blockage that can be potentially life-threatening. If you suspect that your dog may have an intestinal blockage, it’s crucial to seek veterinary care immediately.

To help prevent your dog from eating Play-doh in the future, it’s important to store it in a secure location out of your dog’s reach. You can also try using alternative non-toxic modeling compounds that are specifically designed for pets, such as edible playdough made from all-natural ingredients.

As with any potential emergency situation involving your dog, it’s always best to consult with a professional for advice. We reached out to a veterinarian for their input on the topic, and they had this to say:

“Play-doh ingestion in dogs is a common issue that we see in veterinary practice. While Play-doh is generally non-toxic, it can still cause problems for dogs if ingested in large quantities. If your dog has eaten Play-doh, it’s important to monitor them closely for any signs of distress and seek veterinary care if needed.”

In addition to veterinarians, we also spoke with a dog trainer for their perspective on the topic. They shared the following advice:

“Prevention is key when it comes to keeping your dog safe from ingesting harmful substances like Play-doh. Make sure to keep all potentially dangerous items out of your dog’s reach, and provide them with plenty of safe and appropriate toys to play with instead.”

Another professional we consulted was a pet nutritionist, who provided the following insight:

“The high salt content in Play-doh can be harmful to dogs, so it’s important to monitor their salt intake if they have ingested Play-doh. Make sure to offer them plenty of fresh water to help flush out any excess salt from their system.”

Lastly, we spoke with a veterinary technician who emphasized the importance of seeking veterinary care if your dog has eaten Play-doh:

“If you suspect that your dog has ingested a large amount of Play-doh or is showing any signs of distress, it’s crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. Your vet can help determine the best course of action to keep your dog safe and healthy.”

In conclusion, if your dog has eaten Play-doh, it’s important to monitor them closely for any signs of distress and seek veterinary care if needed. By taking proactive steps to prevent your dog from ingesting harmful substances like Play-doh, you can help keep them safe and healthy. Remember to always consult with a professional for advice on how to handle any potential emergencies involving your furry friend.