Skip to Content

What To Do If My Dog Eats An Edible


Dogs are known for their curious nature and tendency to eat things they shouldn’t. This can be especially concerning when it comes to edibles, such as marijuana-infused treats. If your dog accidentally ingests an edible, it’s important to know what steps to take to ensure their safety and well-being.

There are several trends related to dogs ingesting edibles that are important to be aware of. One trend is the increasing popularity of edibles among humans, which means there is a higher likelihood of dogs coming into contact with them. Another trend is the legalization of marijuana in many states, leading to more edibles being readily available in homes. Additionally, there has been a rise in cases of dogs ingesting edibles and experiencing negative side effects, highlighting the importance of being prepared for such situations.

To provide insight into what to do if your dog eats an edible, we consulted with professionals in the field. A veterinarian specializing in toxicology emphasized the importance of seeking immediate medical attention for your dog if they ingest an edible. They stated, “Edibles can be very dangerous for dogs, as they can contain high levels of THC which can lead to symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting, and even seizures. It’s crucial to contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital right away if you suspect your dog has eaten an edible.”

A pet behaviorist highlighted the importance of prevention in these situations, stating, “It’s essential to keep edibles out of reach of pets, just as you would with any other potentially harmful substance. This can help prevent accidental ingestion and keep your dog safe.” A professional dog trainer also stressed the importance of training your dog to not eat things they find on the ground, as this can help prevent incidents of accidental ingestion.

In the event that your dog does eat an edible, there are several common concerns that pet owners may have. One concern is whether or not the edible will be harmful to their dog. Another concern is how to determine the appropriate course of action, such as inducing vomiting or seeking medical attention. It’s also common for pet owners to worry about the potential long-term effects of their dog ingesting an edible, as well as how to prevent future incidents from occurring.

To address these concerns, it’s important to know the answers to common questions related to dogs ingesting edibles. If your dog eats an edible, it’s important to contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital immediately for guidance. They may recommend inducing vomiting or monitoring your dog for symptoms of toxicity. It’s also important to provide as much information as possible about the type and amount of edible ingested, as this can help determine the best course of action.

Some pet owners may wonder if it’s safe to induce vomiting in their dog after ingesting an edible. In general, inducing vomiting should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian, as it can be dangerous in certain situations. Additionally, some edibles may be formulated in a way that makes them less likely to be expelled by inducing vomiting.

Another common concern is whether or not edibles can be fatal to dogs. While most cases of dogs ingesting edibles do not result in death, it’s important to take the situation seriously and seek immediate medical attention. The effects of edibles can vary depending on the type and amount ingested, so it’s important to consult with a professional to determine the best course of action.

It’s also common for pet owners to worry about the cost of treating a dog who has ingested an edible. Veterinary care can be expensive, but it’s crucial to prioritize your dog’s health and well-being in these situations. Some pet insurance policies may cover accidental ingestion of harmful substances, so it’s worth checking with your provider to see if you are eligible for reimbursement.

In some cases, pet owners may be concerned about legal implications if their dog ingests an edible. While accidental ingestion is typically not considered a criminal offense, it’s important to take responsibility for your dog’s actions and ensure their safety. Being proactive in preventing future incidents can help avoid legal issues and keep your dog out of harm’s way.

One common question pet owners may have is how long it takes for symptoms of toxicity to appear after a dog ingests an edible. The onset of symptoms can vary depending on the type and amount of edible consumed, but signs of toxicity can typically appear within 30 minutes to a few hours after ingestion. It’s important to monitor your dog closely and seek medical attention if you notice any concerning symptoms.

Some pet owners may also wonder if there are any home remedies that can be used to treat a dog who has ingested an edible. While there are some home remedies that may be helpful in certain situations, such as hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, it’s important to consult with a veterinarian before attempting any treatment at home. They can provide guidance on the best course of action based on your dog’s specific situation.

It’s important for pet owners to be aware of the potential risks of dogs ingesting edibles and take steps to prevent these incidents from occurring. This includes keeping edibles out of reach of pets, training your dog to not eat things they find on the ground, and being prepared to seek medical attention if necessary. By being proactive and informed, you can help keep your dog safe and healthy.

In summary, if your dog eats an edible, it’s crucial to act quickly and seek medical attention. Contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital for guidance, provide as much information as possible about the edible ingested, and follow their recommendations for treatment. By being prepared and proactive, you can help ensure your dog’s safety and well-being in the event of accidental ingestion. Remember to keep edibles out of reach of pets and train your dog to avoid eating harmful substances, to prevent future incidents from occurring. Stay informed and take the necessary steps to keep your furry friend safe.